1. Entertainment

ABC Cancels '666 Park Avenue' and 'Last Resort'

By November 16, 2012

666 Park AvenueThe devil and the fugitives are heading into the abyss...

ABC has canceled freshman dramas 666 Park Avenue and Last Resort. Both series had been given additional script orders recently, but as we know all too well, it doesn't necessarily mean the network will pick up the back nine.

Right out of the gate, 666 Park Avenue failed to lure in viewers, despite its pedigreed cast that includes Terry O'Quinn, Vanessa Williams and Dave Annable. Following its low-rated series premiere, viewership averaged around the 5 million mark -- ratings that dipped lower than last season's flop GCB.

Last Resort didn't start out as a complete failure, but the ratings didn't exactly have the network jumping for joy. The show has averaged about 7 million viewers, but the last episode only brought in 5.8 million. Considering the expense of this production vs. the return, I can understand why ABC decided to cut the show loose (not that it makes it any easier to accept the cancellation). Perhaps one day ABC will find success in this tough timeslot.

ABC is planning to air the remaining episodes, but if the ratings get much worse, don't be surprised if either series suddenly disappears from the schedule. Maybe with any luck some of the mysteries from 666 Park Avenue will be revealed and/or the crew of the U.S.S. Colorado will finally be reunited with their loved ones.

Photo Credit: Andrew Eccles 2012 American Broadcasting Companies, Inc.

Comments

November 17, 2012 at 3:15 am
(1) Lady L says:

I love 666 Park Avenue! Maybe if ABC would advertise it would have gotten more viewers! First they cancelled GCB and now 666. Advertise. Advertise. Advertise! No one I spoke to had even heard of the show!

November 17, 2012 at 3:51 am
(2) elnaz says:

why they canceled 666? i love it please don’t cancel the movie :( :( :( pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

November 17, 2012 at 3:53 am
(3) elnaz says:

how can we help the movie to continue?

November 17, 2012 at 11:25 am
(4) adriana says:

666 PARK AVENUE IS SO EXCITING AND LOVED BY MY FRIENDS WHO LIKE TO ‘NOT HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS’ EASILY. That is what makes it something to look forward to each Sunday night. Big mistake to cancel this show. So disappointed!!!!

November 17, 2012 at 12:01 pm
(5) Fan of 666 Park Avenue says:

What a shame that 666 Park Avenue is going to be cancelled…why don”t they cancel some of those stupid, ridiculous and drama-fulled reality shows that are dominating the airways….who is running the networks these days…awful!!!!!!

November 17, 2012 at 1:21 pm
(6) Byon says:

Well I’m a fan of ABC’s Last Resort. I hope that they decide not to cancel that show. Simply becuase the Navy seal Petty Officer King is a BEAST, and the bartender is HOT. Plus they have T-1000, even though he’s a little swollen lol.

November 17, 2012 at 5:39 pm
(7) ohara135 says:

Please go to epetitions.net and sign Save 666 Park Avenue petition!

November 17, 2012 at 5:40 pm
(8) ohara135 says:

Please go to epetitions.net and sign Save 666 Park Avenue petition!!

November 18, 2012 at 7:33 am
(9) MyKiddosMom says:

Reality shows…bad animated crud *American Dad, Family Guy, etc.)…good shows that are just revving-up and will get better, like LR and 666, but not being given a chance. And Lady L…you’re right…nets keep advertising really (really!) bad reality shows, but not good ones. If I were put into a cage and asked to pick a reality show, and my choices were Honey Boo and Cash Cab, I’d have to ask “do you have Jeopardy, otherwise I’ll take Cash Cab”. New shows aren’t getting advertised, to be seen…like 666, Revolution, Touch, etc…people don’t Know about the shows, so they can’t watch them. I remember reading that Trauma (which I loved) was probably THE most exacting show on TV, as far as how people actually handle medical situations…but I guess Grey’s and others had been on longer…damn…bring back Doogie, if you’ll cancel a really good med show. What the hey…let’s all go for weird and improbable.

November 20, 2012 at 11:52 pm
(10) Venice says:

Lady L is right. There is not enough advertising for 666. The onslaught of advertising for “Revolution” seems to have worked because I don’t think it was renewed on merit alone. At least 666 offers something different. With the horror genre being so popular now, I don’t understand why there wasn’t more interest in this show.

November 21, 2012 at 1:15 am
(11) Sharron Hayward says:

I am one person who found no desire to watch ’666 Park Avenue’ and ‘Last Resort’. I also hate reality shows, do not watch them. I am tired of cop shows and the drama they always seem to have against the team of cops in the show. I would love some more ‘quality” sitcoms. Real shows about real family situations, not the crap they have on the tube today. Thank goodness for Antenna TV and Create. I also find myself reading more often than watching TV lately.

November 21, 2012 at 1:25 am
(12) Robyn says:

I sure hope ABC doesn’t cut off Last Resort without a proper ending like so many great shows before it. I knew I shouldn’t get invested in it but its the best military drabs since JAG!! Give these poor people a break and let their stories be told. Are us that it? It’s about to hit too close to home!!

November 21, 2012 at 1:27 am
(13) Robyn says:

Oh and speaking of TOUCH, where the h*** is it? It should’ve premiered by now!!

November 21, 2012 at 6:37 am
(14) Marvin says:

I simply do not ‘get it’! In the past, networks would give at least one
complete season a try before axing a show. It wasn’t even given a
chance. Even though I never got into “Revenge”, I do enjoy my
Sunday night fantasy night (“Once Upon a Time”, “666 Park Ave.”).
So now “666…” goes to the wayside like my other favortes (“No Ordinary Family”, “Pushing Daisies”,”The Defenders”).

November 21, 2012 at 8:36 am
(15) Susi says:

What a shame to cancel 666! Everyone I know loves it! Need good mysteries, there are so few. I can only hope ABC will reconsider……

November 21, 2012 at 9:14 am
(16) BCD says:

Last Resort is the best series on tv, Guess some people don’t want to know about things that can and may be going on in our lives. Ignorance is not bliss.

November 23, 2012 at 9:45 pm
(17) Saderiah says:

I LOVE 666 Park Avenue!! It was getting so good!! Every episode it would leave you hanging and make you want to watch the next one on Sunday. I never thought it would be canceled. Finish out the season at least!!! I want to see what happens!!:)

November 29, 2012 at 3:46 am
(18) Erica says:

I’m so disappointed that they’re canceling 666 Park Avenue. I guess apart of me figured they would because it’s a good show and it actually makes you think. We live in a society that is so dumbed down by reality tv that when a great show comes along no one watches it because they don’t want to take the time to. Tv has to have washed up celebrities competing for something, or talent shows, or staged ‘reality’ dramas with so-called housewives, oh and let’s not forget the dating shows, like the hundredth season of the Bachelor. It’s disgusting. They should of canceled it after the third show that way I wouldn’t of grown attached. The first season of shows are never the best, some of the greatest sitcoms and dramas in tv history started out a little rocky but networks were willing to give them a chance. Now you only have one time to get it right. It’s so sad. I can only hope 666 finishes out the season, however that’ll make it even harder to watch knowing it’s no more.

December 1, 2012 at 12:41 pm
(19) Vicki says:

Pleeeeeeese don’t cancel it….now that is getting good and scary…if u cancel u will leave us with so many unsolved endings….pleeeeeese one more season….geez they renewed Couger Town and that sucks….please nooooo