Forget that famous "tale as old as time," this isn't your parents version of the famous Disney movie, but rather a completely different twist. When she was a teenager, Detective Catherine Chandler witnessed the brutal murder of her mother by two gunmen and she would have also been killed if not for some sort of "being" who saved her life. Years later, Catherine finds a clue that leads her to the discovery of a handsome doctor named Vincent Keller, who presumed dead in 2002 while serving in Afghanistan. For the last ten years, Vincent has kept a low profile in order to hide the fact that when he becomes angry, he turns into a beast... the same beast that saved Catherine's life years ago.
October 11, 2012
When is it on?:
Thursdays at 9pm ET on the CW (check local listings). The latest episodes can be viewed at the CW's official Beauty and the Beast
site the day after it airs in primetime.
'Beauty and the Beast' Cast:
- Kristin Kreuk as Catherine Chandler (a.k.a. Beauty)
- Jay Ryan as Vincent Koslow (a.k.a. Beast)
- Max Brown as Evan Marks
- Nina Lisandrello as Tess Vargas
- Nicole Gale Anderson as Heather Chandler
- Austin Basis as J.T. Forbes
- Brian White as Joe Bishop
- Like most shows on the CW, Beauty and the Beast is filmed in Canada, specifically in Toronto, Ontario.
- The series is loosely based on the '80s CBS series also titled Beauty and the Beast. Of course, most most will associate this tale with the version Disney made famous 1991 animated film of the same name. The tale has also found its way to Broadway.
- ABC's Once Upon a Time featured a Beauty and the Beast storyline featuring Rumpelstiltskin as the beast and Belle.
- Although sci-fi in nature, Beauty and the Beast is actually classified as a procedural/crime drama.
- Series star Austin basis (J.T. Forbes) starred in Life Unexpected, another CW drama series.
About Kristin Kreuk - Catherine Chandler (a.k.a. Beauty):
Most will remember this lovely young actress for playing Lana Lang, Clark Kent's (a.k.a. Superman) high school love in the CW's long-running series Smallville
. Kristin played Lana from 2001-2009 and appeared in 158 episodes. During her time on Smallville
, Kristin also appeared as Laurel Yeung in the Canadian series Edgemont
from 2001-2005. After her stint on Smallville
, Kristin appeared in several episodes of NBC's spy drama Chuck
as Hannah, a love interest for Chuck. She also appeared in the films Vampire
, Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li
and Irvine Welsh's Ecstasy
. Kristin also spent years as the face of Neutrogena Cosmetics. Her role in Beauty and the Beast
is the first major she has had since Smallville
About Jay Ryan - Vincent Koslow (a.k.a. Beast):
The Auckland, New Zealand-born actor has been on the Australian television scene for quite some time, having starred in several long-running dramas such as Neighbours
(he appeared in 173 episodes), Sea Patrol
and Go Girls
. Upon coming to the United States, Jay starred in several episodes of Fox's short-lived dinosaur themed drama series Terra Nova
as Curran. Although Beauty and the Beast
is produced in Canada, it is considered an American television drama, making this Jay's first starring television role in this country.