We fell in love with Carrie Bradshaw in the mega-hit HBO series Sex and the City
and now we get the opportunity to meet this amazing woman when she was a teenager just arriving in New York City for the first time. It's 1984 and Carrie is a clothes-obsessed 16-year-old who has just lost her mother and is forced to take on more responsibilities than most teenagers -- including helping her father raise her rebellious younger sister. When Carrie's father Tom offers her a chance to intern at his Manhattan law firm, she jumps at the chance and falls instantly in love with New York City... and those of us who faithfully watched Sex and the City
know where that ultimately leads this vivacious young woman!
January 7, 2013
When is it on?:
The Carrie Diaries
airs Mondays at 8:00 PM ET (check local listings). Missed an episode? The latest episodes can be viewed on the CW's website
'The Carrie Diaries' Cast:
- AnnaSophia Robb as Carrie Bradshaw
- Austin Butler as Sebastian Kydd
- Ellen Wong as Mouse
- Katie Findlay as Maggie Landers
- Stefania Owen as Dorrit Bradshaw
- Brendan Dooling as Walt Reynolds
- Chloe Bridges as Donna LaDonna
- Freema Agyeman as Larissa Loughton
- Matt Letscher as Tom Bradshaw
About the Book Series:
Sex and the City author Candace Bushnell created a prequel series titled The Carrie Diaries and Summer and the City. In the book series, Carrie has just lost her mother and has two sisters, Missy and Dorrit (in the TV series Dorrit is her only sister). She has just been accepted to Brown University after being rejected for an advanced writing class at The New School in New York City. In the books, one of Carrie's friends gives her the name of her "cool cousin" who lives in NYC and when she arrives to spend the summer in the city, she contacts the cousin... who turns out to be Samantha Jones.
- While the book series introduced us to a younger Samantha Jones, the producers have made it very clear that Samantha, Charlotte and Miranda would not appear in this series.
- Those who watched Sex and the City should always look for Easter eggs -- an example being Carrie's 'C' necklace (that later became a Carrie necklace) or crinolines under her clothes that pay homage to the adult Carrie we have known and loved for so many years.
- Like the original, the series is also filmed in New York, specifically in Brooklyn, NY.
- While the first season of Sex and the City is loosely followed the original book (rumor has it that Candace Bushnell was squeezed out from any decision making), executive producer Michael Patrick King took many liberties with the characters from the book. For example -- Carrie's father left her mother when she was young and I don't recall her ever mentioning she ever had any siblings. She also didn't come to New York City until she had already graduated from high school. In The Carrie Diaries, Carrie's mother has recently passed away, her father is a great guy and she has one sister. I wouldn't be surprised if these details wind up deterring fans of the original series from watching the show. It does appear as though this series will follow the books a little closer, but it's very rare for a show to follow the books exactly as they are written (The Vampire Diaries and True Blood are perfect examples of how different a series can be from the book series).