For several years, Will McAvoy has safely chosen the middle-of-the-road when it comes to politics in his "News Nightly" program on ACN. He has played it safe and refuses to take sides, making him a likeable news anchor (although not so much among his peers) until one day he cracks and lets his real feelings about the United States comes out to a shocked audience of college students. After being forced to take a vacation, Will returns to find that his news team has jumped ship and his boss has hired the one executive producer who is capable of bringing out the passionate side of this incredibly talented news anchor.
June 24, 2012
When is it on?:
During its regular season, The Newsroom
airs Sunday nights at 10pm ET on HBO. During the week, HBO and the other HBO channels air reruns. Views can always find every episode, plus additional features on the HBO Go
app online or on your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch.
'The Newsroom' Cast:
- Jeff Daniels as Will McAvoy
- Emily Mortimer as MacKenzie McHale
- Sam Waterston as Charlie Skinner
- Alison Pill as Margaret Jordan
- Dev Patel as Neal Sampat
- John Gallagher Jr. as Jim Harper
- Olivia Munn as Sloan Sabbith
- Thomas Sadoski as Don Keefer
- The series was renewed for a second season after just two episodes had aired.
- The pilot was shot in the fall of 2011 after the series had been in development for almost a year.
- ACN stands for Atlantis Cable News, a subsidiary of Atlantis World Media run by Leona Lansing (played by Jane Fonda). ACN is designed to resemble CNN.
- The show was originally titled More as This Story Develops.
About Aaron Sorkin:
There are several brilliant minds in the television world (Joss Whedon, J.J. Abrams, etc) and Newsroom
creator Aaron Sorkin falls among this coveted group. His most famous and successful series was NBC's Emmy-winning drama The West Wing
, followed by the short-lived Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
and the dramedy Sports Night
. Sorkin also wrote the screenplays to A Few Good Men
, The American President
, The Social Network
Where is it filmed?:
The majority of the series is filmed in Hollywood, California, specifically at Sunset Gower Studios. The series occasionally films in New York City.
Before 'The Newsroom'...:
- Jeff Daniels (Will McAvoy) has taken on many, many great serious roles that include Cheaters, Pleasantville, Goodnight, and Good Luck, Arachnophobia and The Five People You Meet in Heaven, but he also has a funny side and has appeared in Dumb and Dumber, My Favorite Martian and RV.
- Emily Mortimer (Mackenzie MacHale) has appeared in several movies which include The Pink Panther 2, Shutter island, Cars 2 and Hugo. Her role in The Newsroom marks her first starring role in a television series.
- Sam Waterston is probably mostly known for playing Assistant D.A. Jack McCoy in the long-running legal drama Law & Order. Before Law and Order, he starred in the TV series I'll Fly Away, The Matthew Shepard Story, Serial Mom, as well as many other great TV series, TV movies and films.
- Alison Pill (Maggie Jordan) appeared in the short-lived drama The Book of Daniel, Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen, In Treatment and To Rome with Love.
- Olivia Munn (Sloan Sabbith) most recently appeared in the popular chick flick Magic Mike, Iron Man 2 and I Don't Know How She Does It. Her role in this series is her first bonafide starring role in a cable drama.
- Dev Patel (Neal Sampat) is relatively new to the scene, but he has appeared in the controversial MTV series Skins and the successful film Slumdog Millionaire.