One family consists of King Robert Baratheon and his wife, Cersei Lannister, a member of the very corrupt Lannister clan -- those responsible for the death of the previous king. At the right-hand of the king is Lord Eddard "Ned" Stark, the father of five (and one "bastard") who will stop at nothing to protect those he loves.
The other family is Princess Daenerys and her brother Viserys, whose family ran the kingdom until they were savagely thrown out. Determined to reclaim the throne, the young princess is forced to marry Khal Drogo so that they can join forces with his vast army of Dothraki warriors and fight for what is theirs.
Beyond the kingdom is the Wall, where Stark's (bastard) son Jon Snow has joined the brotherhood of the Nightʼs Watch, which is sworn to protect the Kingdoms from the strange, supernatural things that are rumored to live north of the Wall.
'Game of Thrones' Cast:
- Mark Addy as King Robert Baratheon
- Alfie Allen as Theon Greyjoy
- Sean Bean as Lord Eddard “Ned” Stark
- Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen
- Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Ser Jaime Lannister
- Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister
- Michelle Fairley as Lady Catelyn Stark
- Aidan Gillen as Petyr Baelish (“Littlefinger”)
- Jack Gleeson as Prince Joffrey Baratheon
- Iain Glen as Ser Jorah Mormont
- Kit Harington as Jon Snow
- Lena Headey as Queen Cersei Lannister
- Isaac Hempstead-Wright as Bran Stark
- Harry Lloyd as Viserys Targaryen
- Richard Madden as Robb Stark
- Rory McCann as Sandor Clegane (“The Hound”)
- Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark
- Maisie Williams as Arya Stark
- John Bradley as Samwell Tarly
- James Cosmo as Lord Commander Mormont
- Charles Dance as Lord Tywin Lannister
- Ron Donachie as Ser Rodrik Cassel
- Jerome Flynn as Bronn
- Conleth Hill as Varys
- Jason Momoa as Khal Drogo
- Donald Sumpter as Maester Luwin
The Book Series:
- The show is based on the bestselling fantasy book series A Song of Ice and Fire, by George R.R. Martin. The show is named after the first book in the series.
- There are five books in the book series: A Game of Thrones, A Feast for Crows, A Storm of Swords, Clash of Kings and A Dance with Dragons.
- Author George R.R. Martin is often called the American Tolkien, referring to J.R.R. Tolkien, the author of the Lord of the Rings book series.
- Most of the series is filmed at Paint Hall Studio in Belfast, Northern Ireland.
- Series star Lena Headey starred in the Fox sci-fi drama Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.
- This world where these characters exist doesn't have normal seasons. Summers can last for years, while winters can last equally as long. Ned Stark predicted they were in for a long winter where crops could not flourish and many would starve through this brutal season.
- Michelle Fairly played Mrs. Granger and Natalia Tena played Tonks in the Harry Potter films.
- Hundreds of years ago, "bastard" children were given their mother's surnames.